For the Puff Pastry Tarts:
- 2 packages Gluten Free Easy Puff Pastry Squares, defrosted according to package directions
- 2-3 medium-sized potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh sliced chives for garnish (optional)
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk or heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
1. Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Prepare the Filling:
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the thinly sliced onions and sauté until they become translucent and slightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the thinly sliced potatoes with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss to coat.
3. Make the Sauce:
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook for about 1-2 minutes until it forms a smooth paste (roux).
- Gradually whisk in the milk, making sure there are no lumps. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a gentle boil.
- Add the salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and a pinch of nutmeg (if desired).
- Stir until the sauce is smooth and well-seasoned. Remove from heat.
4. Assemble the Tarts:
- Set out GF puff pastry squares on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Spoon a small amount of the caramelized onions onto each piece of puff
- Layer the thinly sliced potatoes on top of the onions.
- Spoon a spoonful of the creamy sauce over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over each tart.
- Bake the tarts in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown, and the potatoes are tender.
6. Garnish and Serve:
- Once out of the oven, garnish the tarts with the chopped chives and black pepper if desired.
- Allow them to cool slightly before serving.